Thursday, December 16, 2010

Movie Review: "I Love You Phillip Morris"

I was lucky enough to attend a screening for the film "I Love You Phillip Morris." This film is based on the true story of Steven Russell -- an adopted child, turned con man. It is a very fascinating story. He breaks free from jail (on multiple occasions), embezzles money, creates many aliases, and even fakes his own death. All of which ultimately end in Russell received some 140ish years in prison.



Jim Carrey plays Russell. Russell is a gay man, and to see Jim Carrey in this role was a challenge for me. Some of his typical expressions came through, and I was instantly taken to Ace Ventura, or Liar Liar. Carrey did amazingly well at portraying such a unique and intriguing character.

Ewan McGregor plays Phillip Morris. Phillip is Russell's lover. They meet in jail, and have an instant connection. Many of Russell's escapes from jail are to find Phillip and be reunited with him. McGregor does a fantastic job, and makes you feel connected and sympathetic to his character. I almost teared up in the final scenes when they express their love to each other.

The movie itself had hilarious lines, serious tones, and was overall worth seeing. I suggest seeing this movie. I would give it 3 out of 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment