Monday, June 14, 2010

LinkedIn? Or just another way for people to keep tabs on me....

LinkedIn.com is a great tool in order to market yourself to potential employers. You can make connections with past/current employers. These individuals can write reviews of your work, and your capabilities. You can browse job listings. It is wonderful when used appropriately.

I have found myself in limbo when it comes to making "connections." This isn't Facebook, nor is it Twitter. It is strictly for professional use. I want potential employers to be able to take me seriously. With that being said, should one go about accepting every LinkedIn connection, or should your be choosey? What if someone who wants to connect with you doesn't have to best track record? Will I be put in a group with them? I want to connect with people who are going to help me, or is maybe mutually beneficial. Yes, this is selfish, but isn't that what the 'real world' is about? Isn't every (wo)man for themselves?

Today, I helped an old Professor out with her dissertation. She kept asking me questions about what I thought about the work place, what I wanted from it, and how I would define being successful. I hope that as soon as I am immersed within the work place I uphold my hard working capabilities. I also hope that I get promoted by staying ethically correct. I certainly hope I am not one of those assholes who takes credit for things they have not done. I also hope I make strong LinkedIn connections, and that I am not left in 'limbo,' because of how someone feels about me.

Am I out of line to even be doing this? Is it even worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment