Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Unpaid Internship or Job?

Everyday I look at my planner, and realize my time as an undergraduate student is quickly coming to an end. Have I set my self up for success in the future? For me, I am struggling to answer this question. In the middle of last semester I decided to change my double major, to a single major and minor. Inevitably, I also changed the date of graduation. I had planned to have an internship this summer, and then graduate in December. Now, I am graduating in May. 

So, with no previous internship experience in a field related to my course work, which route do I take? Well, my professor told me that taking an unpaid internship after graduation is like saying you don't value yourself, and what you have been taught. Then there was an article in the New York Times discussing how unpaid internships are illegal. Yet, more and more students are accepting such internships in order to get their foot in the door. The article by Steven Greenhouse says, "in 2008, the National Association of Colleges and Employers found that 83 percent of graduating students had held internships, up from 9 percent in 1992. This means hundreds of thousands of students hold internships each year; some experts estimate that one-fourth to one-half are unpaid."

Then there is the job aspect. How do you get a job without the internship experience? I don't think you can. If you want to work in an ad agency or PR agency, good luck. Most of these places do not even hire INTERNS with out previous agency work. Last semester, I heard from a guest lecturer's mouth that they did not look at interns who did not previously have at least 3 internships! The computer they used looked at key words, and based on these words would sort you into piles. Yes, maybe, and no. Not even a single human being was reading student's resumes. 


 So, then how does someone like me get a job, or internship, or maybe even an internship that might be paid? I guess, I should start relying on my 'network' and 'networking' skills to help. I want to soak up as much knowledge as I can, and prove my work ethic to whom ever is willing to take a chance when hiring me. 
You can access Steven Greenhouse's article here. 

2 comments:

  1. People use the word network and networking way too much! I know every chance to meet someone is an opportunity, but why does a guy that I met one time who knows absolutely nothing about me want to help me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people use the word "hook up" instead of "network." Others use the word "party" instead of "solicit a prostitute."

    Have you tried talking to Basow? He seems to have a pretty good hook up. (See what I did there?)

    No, but seriously. I was in your same situation a couple months ago. I think when it comes life after J-school sans internship/s, you're incredibly lucky if you can nab a job. It's even harder explaining to your parents (or maybe just my parents?) that you’re pursuing an internship and not a job. Most ‘official’ internship programs are, unfortunately, past their application deadlines and have already made hiring decisions. But, I think there’s still a chance that given a certain Basowian hookup, you may be able to contact or be recommended to the right people if you were to look for employment in the KC, St. Louis or Chicago area.

    I wish you luck! And, we need to meet up sometime for some Wordpress 101.

    ReplyDelete