Thursday, February 25, 2010

And so it begins...



Well, not really beginning, more or less continuing. I am on a MEGA search for a job or post-grad internship. I have a list of about 20 different agencies, or small businesses I am going to be applying to over the weekend. For me, that means I have to write 20 different cover letters. If only I was good at selling myself. (And not in that sense, you dirty minds). I wish I were a genius when it came to putting together words and phrases. I envy my roommate. Without thinking, she can write the most inspirational/moving pieces.  I can barely jot down my strengths without hesitation. After re-reading my cover letters hundreds of times, I am finally ready to send them. However, nerves always get the best of me. What if this isn’t what they want? What if I’m not qualified enough? Does this really portray who I am?

Slowly my attitude is changing. Sooner, rather that later, it is going to be filled to the brim with confidence. I am the best. They would be lucky to have me. I have the skills. I am qualified enough. I am willing to work harder than the person next to me, and I always ready to learn new skills. I will get a job!

(http://www.christinaquick.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2009/04/cubicle-dwellers.jpg)

As an 18 year-old freshman, I didn’t want to listen to professors when they stressed the importance of work experience, and actually applying what you learned in class to the real world. My summers consisted of working at Eddie Bauer, going to Spain (which I would NEVER change -- except I would add some more time abroad), and taking summer school. Not internships. I did my homework, and got by. Now, I wish I had listened to EVERY word anyone had EVER told me. I would have set my self up for a better success rate. (Oh well, I am determined to be successful, and I will accomplish it!)

Seriously (and I mean seriously) take advantage of every opportunity! It could be going to career fairs, the etiquette dinner, going into teachers offices (get to know them so you can use them as a recommendation), joining organizations on campus, joining community organizations, or even faux interviews at the career center. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THESE OPPROTUNITIES! Universities provide them to be used, so use them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment