Saturday, November 6, 2010

The First Photo...

Yesterday I had the opportunity to run a photo shoot. Yes, I was working with elderly people, and their adult children, but it was still a fantastic experience. I found the photographer we wanted to work with. Set the appointment up. Made sure we had the check to paid her. Helped decide on clothing, and spots to snap the photos. I saw it from start to finish.

Six weeks ago I never would have imagined having the opportunity to do this. Because my company has internal marketing (we don't use an outside agency), I get to see projects from start to finish. It really is quite fascinating. An example of this is placing an ad in a newspaper. I find the newspaper we want to advertise in. Find a media contact, and request a media kit. I then help decide if we should place an ad in their publication, how big it should be, and if it should be in color or black and white. If we decide to advertise with that paper, I buy the ad space. I then help create the art for the ad. Once the ad is approved by the community it is representing, I send the as, or traffic it to the publication. I request a read receipt, and tear sheets. Tear sheets will show us that the ad actually ran, and what the quality looked like. A few weeks later, I receive the invoice, and verify that we are paying the correct amount.

How cool is that? If I worked at an advertising agency, I would see MAYBE one step. I know for a fact I would not see the whole process in its entirety. For a first job, this is turning out to be pretty legit!

(To view the photographer we used in Fort Collins, CO click here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment