Thursday, November 11, 2010

Yelp Helps!

Tonight was a magnificent evening filled with good company, good drinks, and non-profits. Tonight, my friend Brittany and I attended an event called "Yelp Helps." In case you are behind the times, Yelp is a website that allows users to rate and review restaurants they have visited. It is a website that others can search for restaurants, and see people's honest opinions. Let's be honest -- it's great.

Anyways, this event was to showcase non-profits through out the Denver area. There was everything from Livestrong, Planned Parenthood, Denver Dumb Friend's League, to the highlight of the night, the Denver Firefighters. Let's just say we saved the best for last.



The most intriguing booth we visited was an organization that was registering people for the national bone marrow registry. It was simple. We swished water for 10 seconds, and then swabbed our mouths. We handed our swabs to the people, and they will ship them off to be processed. Seems pretty painless. Now that I am back in the comfort of my room, I have started thinking about the what ifs. What if I am a match? What if they call me? What if someone needs my help? What will I do?

Will I go through the procedure to save someone I do not know? Well of course! It is hard to believe by doing that simple test I have put myself out there to now help an individual as much as I can as they struggle to fight for their life. I almost wish that I am presented with the opportunity. I want to be able to help someone.

I think that there has been something missing in my life. I think what might be missing is giving back. As the holiday season approaches, I am always reminded of how lucky I am. I have a father who has successful battled cancer and has been cancer-free for nearly 10 years. I have a wonderful, and loving family. I have amazing friends.

 I hope that this year, I can donate my time or money to a good cause to help some else's holiday be as merry as mine. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to what organizations might need the most help this winter?

To find out more about the non-profits that were at the event please go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment