Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Help...

I just finished reading this fascinating book. Yes, I might be behind. But I have been busy! Anyways, this book by Kathryn Stockett is a must-read. Personally, I love these stories. My parents grew up in the south. My dad, more specifically, was alive during all of this. He grew up in a southern country club. I am positive his mother's friends had this type of help, although my dad has never mentioned it.

This book, along with a course I took in college, had me questioning my parents. I asked them why they never spoke of this time. They struggled to answer me. They replied they were young. My dad was 10 when Brown V. Board was passed. At 10 years old, you begin to remember things. Where you were when certain things happened, and what you were doing.

The sociological aspect of race, and gender fascinate me. People are socialized to believe certain things about them and the world. Why does a little girl have to have a pink bib? Why does the white girl have to have a white doll? I still don't get it. For as far as we are forward in many aspects, the world is still so far behind on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment