Sunday, November 14, 2010

Waiting for "Superman"

If you have not heard of the documentary "Waiting for Superman," I suggest you do a quick google search. This film, which I saw today, was fantastic. It is about education in America. A system that is in desperate need of attention. A system I learn more and more about because my best friend has been thrust into the world of it. She is a Teach For America teacher, and has horror stories of 16 year-old sixth graders.

But back to the movie: the part of the movie that struck me the most was when the film maker discusses track systems. The first time I can remember being put into a track was in 4th grade. We were divided by our math capabilities. There was the GT (gifted and talented) program, and then everyone was broken down from there. I was in Mrs. Jones' math class, which was right below GT. The next time I remember how big of a deal the track system was, was between 7th and 8th grade. There was a test that was to be taken to determine whether or not you could take algebra in 8th grade. It may not seem like a huge deal, but that test would determine my class schedule for the next 4-5 years. I did not pass the test right away. I was put on a waiting list, and had to go talk to the principle with my mother to get placed into the algebra class.

Why was it such a big deal? Well if I was on the regular track I would take biology as a sophomore, and chemistry as a junior in high school. Rather, I took biology as a freshmen and chemistry as a sophomore. I would take pre-calculus, and trig. I would then have the decision my senior year as to whether I wanted to take calculus or advanced placement classes. I guess I was on the fast track -- I am not sure where that fast track was taking me.

Did I really receive a better education because I was on this track? Were the expectations of me greater? I know they were greater from my parents. Majority of my friends were on the same track. Were we friends because we were going places?

This movie made me take a look back at my education. Even through out college -- did I get what I paid for? The teacher's assistant was about 3 years older than me -- were they capable of teaching me what I needed to know? Overall, this movie digs deeper into the education system, and how if you attend one bad school through out your childhood, you are that much further behind. I hope everyone goes to see this movie. It was truly eye-opening.

GO SEE IT NOW!

1 comment:

  1. I've been dying to see this movie. I hadn't really thought about the track system, but my school was the exact same. Such an interesting thing to look at. The majority of the kids that were on the 'advanced' track with me are those that went on to college, but others did not. I'd love to read more about the effect of track systems on higher education.

    ReplyDelete